Boston's header
Monday
02/20/17

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba

Posted by bostonki on February 20, 2017 in Uncategorized

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba”.  Sound familiar?  It’s Zulu for “here comes a lion, father”, and I’m going to use it to help describe why I love mornings.

Last night I had trouble sleeping.  I don’t think I entered REM sleep until 2:30 in the morning.  That was probably due to the extensive nap I ended up taking after dinner.  Nonetheless, I woke up around 5:45 wide awake and ready to grind the morning out at Starbucks (I succeeded with the help of a sweet cream cold brew).  So, I got to watch the sunrise from my bed.

It starts out as a thin orange glow at the line of the horizon, and as the Earth rotates the sky becomes a rainbow of dark sky, light blue, and yellow-orange.  A bright glow reminiscent of the “Circle of Life” scene from the Lion King pops up and glints off the windows of South Lake Village in the distance and the semifrozen lake.  Fog rises from the hills on the walk to Starbucks and the dew makes the grass nice and crunchy.  The air at this point in the year smells crisp, fresh, and sweet.  Like the flowers are slowing thawing and the spring air is almost here.  It provides a nice but not unbearable zing to your nose.  You arrive to an empty Starbucks and get some iced coffee and a hot croissant straight out of the oven.  The air smells of cocoa beans and sugar, inviting a morning of productivity.  Music twinkles in your ears.

I am much more a morning person than one of nighttime.  I hate the sunset – it means that night is setting in, and the dark invites unwanted anxiety and occasional depression.  The morning, though, is full of promise.  You can make the day how you want it.  It’s a fresh start, and it’s especially peaceful when you’re seemingly the only one up.  You feel as though you have the whole world to yourself, just for a little bit.  I think on the walk from my room to Starbucks at 6:30, I only saw one person and they were riding a bike.  You know you look at too many memes when you see that they’re wearing very loose black clothes and immediately think of this guy:

Well, Happy Monday folks.