Boston's header
Tuesday
09/05/17

Would you travel to this country?

Posted by bostonki on September 5, 2017 in travel

Hi.. welcome back. I can’t believe I’m a junior, yadda yadda yadda. Summer went too fast, textbooks are too expensive, yadda yadda. Australia was great (I actually hope to spend the next several weeks writing a ‘trip report’ on here in hopes of rehashing some of my good old summer fun), thanks for asking. But for now, I want to dive right in. I have a super awesome topic I’ve been thinking about writing for the last thirty five minutes and I couldn’t contain my excitement any longer.

You know that one country.. the one that’s been on the news internationally all summer (spending six weeks in the South Pacific I can attest to seeing this leader’s face on my screen each morning).. North Korea? Yeah, so would you ever, I don’t know,  travel there?

Think about this.  A totalitarian society where its rulers are sickeningly demanding of your loyalty, where the government has its eyes on you every second of the day and even the slightest anti-government activity can cost you more than you’re willing to pay.  Take last year’s story of the death of American student Otto Warmbier, who met his fate after serving time in a North Korean work camp for tearing down a poster of Kim Jong-un in a surveillanced hotel hallway.  The media is choked out of the scene, and access to the Internet is limited – very limited.  All digital activities are under review both for citizens and visitors.  You can be executed for watching American or South Korean films or accessing certain web sites, for example.  The country is notorious for its crimes committed against humanity.  It is an insanely hard country to flee.  And for those not in the upper echelons of society, it can be miserable to attempt to sustain yourself.  Most would agree that the country sounds terrifying.

Military march in capital city Pyongyang.

But for some (really, really brave) souls, they decide scary news articles aren’t enough and actually travel to the DPRK to check it out for themselves.  TripAdvisor lists 41 “things-to-do” and has 28 forum posts for Pyongyang.  Most are actually written about positive experiences in North Korea (nice tour guides, good food, etc.) and the rest pertain to the tour group options.  You cannot travel by yourself, you must be in a group, and you cannot wander from this group.  Clearly, you’ll only see the stuff the regime wants you to see, so is that a true North Korean experience?  Probably not.  Nonetheless, some of the travel spots look interesting, such as the beautiful Pyongyang Metro and the Arch of Reunification.  It makes me wonder how people took these pictures and uploaded them to TripAdvisor, since it is a heinous crime to take photos of seemingly anything unless it is approved by the government.

The beautiful yet somewhat ironic Arch of Reunification (with South Korea).

Almost like Grand Central except with a leader mosaic.

Much of the sights are government-related (like Kim squares or Kim statues), and if they’re not, then they undoubtedly have a nice fresco or mosaic of Kim somewhere in the vicinity.  While scary, daily life in the DPRK fascinates me.  And some of the sights are quite pretty if you ignore the bland and generally depressing atmosphere of the capital city.  Beyond the city walls, who knows what else the country holds.  But you can sure bet that it probably won’t be included on your tour.

Oh, something I forgot.  They have a state circus.  And reportedly, the bears used in the show are unnaturally thin.  So if you are an animal lover, beware.  You will probably shed tears.

And the bowling alley is kind of depressing.  Called Golden Lane Bowling Alley.  Look it up.

So.. would you go?

I think I might just stick to someone ELSE’S account of the DPRK for now.