Boston's header
Monday
09/25/17

Living across from a bookstore is dangerous. Australia, Part 3.

Posted by bostonki on September 25, 2017 in Australia, travel

Ahh, Monday morning.  It’s been a terrible one so far.  The shuttle was eight minutes late which means I was rushing to get coffee and print.  But my coffee spilled all over my newly printed notes and class was terrible and just cannot get comfy enough to study for more than five minutes and I have a lot work and an exam and just no motivation.  So while there are hundreds of other things I could be doing, I think I’ll continue writing about Australia since it seems to serve as a reprieve.

I left off with the pooping koala.  But fear not, the Australia Zoo had plenty of other hidden treasures.  We saw a lunchtime show (where they spent half of the showtime talking about the work of our Lord and Savior Steve Irwin) with birds trained to fly right over the audience’s head, and a woman egging a saltwater crocodile out of the water to get the food tossed from her hand.  Now that’s just natural selection at work here.

There were your typical snakes (which I touched, ew), wombats, Tasmanian devils, but the second best part (and I only say this because of the koala cuteness factor) were the kangaroos.  They were in a natural enclosure that you could walk into, and they were completely tamed so you could pet them, feed them, whatever.  They were just hippity-hopping around, going about their business of digging in the dirt with their cute, short, t-rex like front paws.  They bore no resemblance to those featured in YouTube videos delivering a nice jump kick to somebody’s stomach.  We’ve all seen the videos.

Perhaps the most epic selfie I’ve ever nabbed.

Look at him just chilling, not worrying about Trump or student loans.  I’m jelly.

After the zoo, C and our bus driver Trevor took us to what would be our home for the next two weeks – the cozy beachside yet touristy town of Mooloolaba (moo-loo-luh-buh).  We were staying in a (sort of) high rise and I was living with four of the other ‘Summer Program’ students.  Translate: students who were kind of worthless of too much attention in C’s eyes.  While I’m at it, ‘student teachers’  = thumbs up.  Staying for 13 weeks and working in schools, the sole source of C’s paycheck and reason for existing.  I think the most C addressed us 6 ‘summer program’ students was when he was outlining our final assignment.

Right across from the high rise was a used book store called Corelli’s with a dangerous EXCHANGE program.  I’m not ashamed to say that I peeled through six or seven books on the trip and was in fact dubbed both ‘Bookworm’ and ‘Most Likely to Have a Higher IQ than C’ officially by my peers.  #proudmoment

DANGER! DANGER!

Mooloolaba was the cutest town.  There was the phenomenal Mooloolaba beach with almost magnetic-like, soft sand and crystal-clear water.  Sunrises and sunsets to die for.  Crashing waves supporting wave pool fanatics like me and radical surfers alike.  An esplanade, lined with coffee shops, boutiques, and restaurants.  The town’s favorite craft beer place, Taps, which supported rowdy weekend nights, 50 cent wing Wednesdays (absolutely terrible by the way), and Queensland Maroons games.  The antique clothing store and the massive Kawana shopping complex (featuring teen Boho-hipster shop Typo and the hysterical Bed, Bath, and Table).  Coles, where I learned that whole wheat bread is referred to as wholemeal bread and where I learned that Australia doesn’t sell frozen pancakes.  Or frozen snakes, to reference by dream from this previous spring.  But seriously, I couldn’t dig the no frozen-pancakes thing.  There was this, though.

“Just add freshly ground coffee”…

More on the goings-on of Mooloolaba later.  We’ll just take a brief tour of my apartment as I prepare to say a sad goodbye and return to studying.  It came fully furnished with a living room and kitchen (lots of counter space and full breakfast bar, ooh).  Somehow I got my own bedroom, bathroom, TV, and balcony.  Oh yeah, and a full-sized mirror.  And a full bed.  And everybody else wanted to have a roomie, LOL.

The view out our livingroom window towards the beach!

And the view of the wharf from my balcony. Steve Irwin’s old house is back there, which (SPOILER) I later find 🙂

Sayonara.