Honors College Seeks Ambassadors for 2021-2022
Posted by Tim on August 3, 2021 in Community Announcements, Honors Program Announcements, Networking, Student Job Opportunities
Who We Are
The Honors Student Ambassadors is comprised of a dynamic group of undergraduates who will help recruit prospective students to UB and the Honors College. The Ambassadors will promote the following goal: To provide every prospective Honors student with an opportunity to connect with a current Honors student and learn about the Honors College experience.
What That Means
As an Honors Student Ambassador, you will assist UB and Honors in a very important way. Ambassadors are students, and as such will have a different perspective than that of a staff member. You can provide families with an important perspective on what life is like here at UB and in Honors. As an Ambassador, you will participate in the following activities:
- Conduct campus tours with prospective students and their families (minimum of 4 during the 2021-2022 academic year– you might be asked to do a tour for the Office of Admissions if needed)
- Assist with events such as UB 360 Open House, Accepted Student Days and Presidential Scholarship Interviews.
- Be willing to help with other opportunities that might arise – speaking on a panel of current students, meeting with school counselors, emailing prospective students.
Why Become an Honors Student Ambassador?
- Become part of a cohesive group of students who are united by the fact that they are representing UB and Honors.
- Build your resume – being an Honors Student Ambassador will help you demonstrate that you have excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team setting. You will also be able to show employers or graduate schools that you were a student leader on campus. You will gain experience with public speaking and strengthen your ability to think quickly, and confidently. The qualities you nurture as an Honors Student Ambassador will help you excel in school and make you a competitive force in whatever career you choose to pursue after your time at UB.
- You will be able to give back to UB and Honors and help prospective students with an important decision of college choice. You will have fun, develop connections, meet great people and help others just by being yourself, and loving UB and Honors.
- Receive a $100 stipend
- Receive awesome UB/Honors apparel that you will wear when conducting tours and representing UB
Okay, sounds good to me! What do I do now?
Membership in the Honors Student Ambassador Program is competitive. We are looking for enthusiastic, dedicated students who love UB and Honors, and want to share that excitement with prospective students. Involvement in other activities is not as important as showing us that your personality will make a lasting, positive impression on students and parents who are considering making a big choice – the choice to join our UB community for one of the most important academic and personal experiences of their lives. To be eligible you must:
- Contact Tim Matthews for an application and return to Honors by Wednesday, September 1st at 4:30pm
- Be in good standing with the Honors College
- An Honors Scholar who has completed at least one full semester at UB
- Be available to conduct at least two campus tours each semester, help us during UB 360 Open Houses, Accepted Student Days, assist with the Honors College Presidential Scholarship interviews, virtual events and other recruitment opportunities. The time commitment is small during the course of the academic year but very important – we need responsible students we can depend on!
- Have a sincere desire to represent and promote UB in an enthusiastic manner, and have a strong sense of pride in the University
- Have the ability to work well with others, adapt to sometimes difficult situations and possess effective communication skills
After review of applications, you may be contacted for an in-person interview. If you have any questions or to request an application, please do not hesitate to contact Tim Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your application!