Posted by Tim on January 28, 2022 in Academics, Honors Experiences, Research Information and Opportunities, Summer Research
NSF-DoD REU Site: Advanced Technologies for Hypersonic, Propulsive, Energetic, and Reusable Platforms (HYPER) at the University of Central Florida (UCF).
HYPER addresses challenges in aerospace travel and energy production, advancing the fundamental knowledge needed to overcome technical barriers limiting hypersonic flight. The 10-week program will be held this summer from May 22nd – July 30th, 2022. Participants will gain hands-on research training in challenges such as: utilizing advanced manufacturing techniques for high-value components, integrating in-site monitoring of stress-strain evolution, developing novel methods for improved internal cooling and heat transfer effectiveness, and mitigating flutter through advanced rotor dynamic control. Many of these challenges rely on approaches that cut across disciplines and research techniques.
We are actively recruiting a diverse group of participants. These students will:
• Conduct hands-on research guided directly by a faculty mentor and their graduate student(s)
• Interact with a diverse multidisciplinary team of researchers
• Visit the NASA Kennedy Space Center and various aerospace companies
• Participate in professional development workshops
• Gain in-depth training on numerical simulation software ANSYS
• Prepare for graduate school and a research-based career
• Engage with other REU groups located at UCF
Each HYPER REU participant will receive a summer stipend of $5,000, on-campus housing, and a travel allowance to and from Orlando, Florida. To learn more about the program, please visit our website at cater.cecs.ucf.edu/hyper/ or view the HYPER REU flyer.
The application deadline for HYPER is Sunday, March 13th, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET. Prospective participants may apply at cater.cecs.ucf.edu/hyper/apply/.
The organizers of the program are Drs. Ali P. Gordon and Jeffrey L. Kauffman (email@example.com). I hope that you will let us know if you have any questions about the HYPER REU program or the University of Central Florida.