Posted by Tim on February 24, 2020 in Fellowships, Scholarship Opportunities, Study Abroad
The 2020 Undergraduate Study Abroad Award
The Undergraduate Study Abroad Award supports study abroad for Summer 2020, Fall 2020, AY 2020-21, or Spring 2021. The deadline for the application is March 30, 2020.
The awards will range between $500 and $1000. All UB undergraduate students are welcome to apply, but preference will be given to students majoring or minoring in the Asian Studies Program.
· Full-time enrollment as an undergraduate at the University of Buffalo in good academic standing at the time of your application
· At the time of applying for this award, you must already have applied to a study abroad program in Asia through the UB Study Abroad office. Exceptions will be considered with prior approval from the Asian Studies Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Amanda Kennell.
· Foreign language study is a component of the program
· Participation in an established, credit-bearing study abroad or exchange program
· Preference shall be given to applicants who are studying abroad for the first time or in a country or region to which they have never before traveled
· Awards are based on academic merit and seriousness of purpose
· The applicant agrees to be an ambassador for Asian Studies at UB by sending occasional posts and photos of their experiences while in-country for use on the Asian Studies Program’s social media and website. The applicant must also be willing to talk with other students about their study abroad experience upon returning to UB.
Application Materials and Guidelines
Please submit the following 4 items:
- The online application form (http://asianstudies.buffalo.edu/).
- A personal statement no longer than 3 pages
double-spaced, 11 or 12 point font, following the outline below:
- The Program. Describe the program: what is the length of the program, the course of intended study, and the language focus? You may include a program info sheet or brochure as supporting documentation if one exists.
- The Language. What language training have you acquired prior to the study abroad program? What is your expected proficiency at the end of the study abroad program? What is your goal in learning this language?
- Academic Purpose. Describe your academic reasons for selecting a particular program and explain in detail how the study abroad program will fit into your overall academic program and goals.
- Development. Describe how the program benefits your personal, academic, and professional development.
- Candidacy. Why are you a particularly strong candidate for this award?
- One letter of recommendation from a professor who has taught you in an Asian Studies-related course. The letter of recommendation must be submitted in a sealed envelope signed by the professor or emailed as an attachment directly from the professor.
- A current copy of your transcript.
Email Asian-Studies@buffalo.edu with “Study Abroad Award Application: [your name]” in the subject line. Attach the completed application form, your personal statement, and your transcripts. Ask your professor to email their letter of recommendation as an attachment to Asian-Studies@buffalo.edu with “Study Abroad Recommendation: [your name]” in the subject line.
*All application materials must be submitted by 4pm on Monday, March 30, 2020.*
Please direct any questions about your submission to Asian-Studies@buffalo.edu.