International Institute of Buffalo Internship Opportunity-New American Integration Department
Posted by Tim on January 3, 2023 in Honors Experiences, Internships
NEW AMERICAN INTEGRATION DEPARTMENT
EMPLOYMENT INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION
INTERNSHIP TITLE: Employment Intern
HOURS PER WEEK: Flexible, around 8-10/week.
DURATION: Intern needs to be available for minimum of 4 months, as program requirements require a dedicated intern, and who is able to work independently.
SUPERVISOR: Work will be overseen by Volunteer Coordinator and Employment Team:
Employment Interns work with the Employment Team in teaching refugee and immigrant clients about the process of seeking and obtaining employment, the economic structure in the U.S., and fiscal responsibility. Employment Interns help to run our workplace readiness program, Job Club, through fun and engaging workshops.
- Able to provide a “trauma-informed” approach and a sensitivity to working with refugees and other vulnerable populations
- Ability to work independently and with a small team
- Willingness to use public transportation with clients
- Use of excel and other computer programs
- Must demonstrate quality communication skills such as speaking on the phone and writing
- Update client database to reflect: attendance to Job Club, completed resumes/cover letters and interview times and locations.
- Call our offsite employment partners to schedule and/or confirm appointment times
- Assist clients with the job hunt process
- Assist clients with filling out job applications
- Show clients how to utilize public transportation from their home to their place of employment
- Provide an updated professional resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Provide proof of covid-19 vaccination, including booster shot
- Undergo a background check